As the Kapost development team has grown, we found that we’ve reached a threshold where it has become necessary to break our application apart into smaller, more manageable pieces. Take a look at how we drove communication between smaller applications with a custom Ruby gem that leveraged Amazon SNS and SQS.
A feature for an internal Ruby project here at Quick Left necessitated parsing the domain from a URL. This seems like a problem for which there must already exist a solution, but it surprisingly turns out that there is no available solution for this seemingly simple task.
Sometimes when building client projects, it quickly becomes clear when some code is going to be used and reused. Such is the case with a loader implementation for Gociety, a mobile app we recently worked on that uses React. When that happens, we like to give back — and what better way than to open-source some code for others to use?
I recently wrote a blog post describing how to create your own RubyGem. The sample gem produced, aptly named dogeify, converts English sentences into “Doge” based upon the recently popular meme. For April Fools’ Day, we thought it would be fun to implement this gem to convert our entire site into doge. Here’s how we did it.
Building your first Ruby gem may seem like a daunting task, but it’s actually not so bad. It’s quite rewarding to not only release a gem, but to see its download count climb as others put your hard work to good use, and even still as others offer to contribute new features and bug fixes to your very own gem. And thanks to RubyGems.org and Bundler, the process of creating, releasing, and implementing gems couldn’t be easier.
Implementing forms that are associated with models — specifically ActiveRecord objects — is pretty common when developing with Ruby on Rails. In fact, the built-in FormHelper assumes that you’re working with some kind of persisted object. But what happens when you want to create a form for something that is not persisted by an ActiveRecord model?
About two weeks ago, I released a new Ruby gem into the wild named ruby-measurement. (Unfortunately, measurement was already taken.) It serves as a means of parsing human-readable text into a quantity and unit, which can then be used for converting among units and other mathematical operations. Let’s take a simple string like “4 1/2[…]
This is just a short post since I haven’t updated my blog in quite some time. I recently spent some time trying to find a Ruby gem that will search/lookup products on Amazon. My searches only yielded the Peddler and Vacuum gems, both of which I found difficult to use. This prompted me to build[…]
I’ve been spending my free hours lately working on a realtime multiplayer game. In building the game, I decided to build the front-end using Ruby on Rails with the actual game implemented using Node.js, specifically using Socket.IO. One of the first major challenges I encountered with this approach is the need to share session data[…]
Several months ago, I had the opportunity to improve part of a testing suite for an application I worked on. Specifically, I was improving some unit testing pertaining to the creation of DelayedJob entries when emailing users. The code being tested related to users being emailed upon registration on the site. def User < ActiveRecord::Base[…]